- Course: Cold Appetizer, Main Course
- Skill Level: Easy
- Cost: Moderate
- Favorited: 85 Times
This irresistible combination of pungent and sweet flavors—figs, blue cheese, walnuts, and deeply flavored sherry vinaigrette—explains why this house salad flies out the door at Herbsaint.
- 4 large handfuls salad greens—such as red leaf, spinach, arugula, frisée, or premixed mesclun
- 4 generous tablespoons chopped dried figs (we use Calmyrna and Black Mission figs, plumped in warm water and drained)
- 3 tablespoons chopped toasted walnuts
- ½ cup Sherry Vinaigrette
- 4 tablespoons crumbled Valdeon (Spanish blue cheese), or your favorite blue cheese
- 1 medium shallot, Finely minced
- 2 tablespoons sherry wine vinegar
- 1 tablespoon fig preserves, or 1 tablespoon honey
- 2 teaspoons chopped capers
- 1 teaspoon Dijon mustard
- ½ cup olive oil
- Salt and pepper
Place the salad greens, figs, walnuts, and dressing in a bowl and toss. Divide among plates and crumble the blue cheese on top of each salad.
Whisk together the shallot, vinegar, preserves, capers, and mustard in a small bowl. Whisk in the olive oil until the dressing is emulsified.
Taste for balance, and add a little more olive oil, if you like. Season with salt and pepper.
© 2007 Susan Spicer
This recipe serves 6. Nutritional information includes 1/8 teaspoon of added salt per serving.